NS GP40-2 3046

Friday, August 12, 2005

A couple of weekends ago, I set out on a quest to find the Ohio Central Railroad in action. Well, I did not find any action, but a lot of stored locomotives and cars. http://www.clevelandtrains.net/ngallery/albums/9.aspx

I was excited to come across this finding. Among the beast at rest was two ex Amtrak F40's. I have more pictures of them than anything else that was there. A couple of steam locomotives sat in the weeds hoping for the OC to give them some much TLC. Maybe for the next Trainfest, these steam locomotives will be up and running. One locomotive, an old Milwaukee Road 82C was resting (or should I say rusting) away. I did a Google Search to see what I could find out about this unit. Built in 11/1951, frame number 15212, worked for the road until 5/1980. From there I only found that it went to Mad River and NKP Historical Society which is located in Bellevue Ohio. I wonder what the OC have planned for this unit if anything other than parts then scrap. Here are two links to sites that have stories about the Milwauke road.

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929&page=1&pp=10
http://www.wwvrailway.com/milwauke.htm


Enjoy.
NateF40Amtrak

PS - Share your thoughts with me at natef40amtrak@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice shots of the Morgan shops Nate. I see you were there when the Southern F unit was in for paint. You didn't happen to ask the shop crew as to why they sent this unit to them for painting? And those Amtrak units, I think I still have shots of them in Willard just before they went to the OC. I heard of your site on RRF and the blog section is great (whatever a blog is).